It has been a couple of months since my last blog post. Upheaval in U.S. politics makes writing a financial blog very difficult. Who wants to read about financial issues when history is being made in U.S. politics.
I was in University during Watergate and watched as President Nixon was forced to resign. I remember his famous speech “I am not a crook.” Could history repeat itself with another President leaving office in disgrace?
According to the Washington Post, Trump has made 6,420 false or misleading claims over 649 days. Fact checking departments have been working overtime trying to keep up will all the misleading claims made by President Trump. The King of lies has been dominating all forms of media.
No collusion with Russia, yet 16 people have interacted with Russians
- Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort
- Senior Trump campaign official Rick Gates
- Former national security adviser Michael Flynn
- Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr.
- White House senior adviser Jared Kushner
- Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos
- Former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page
- Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions
- Trump campaign official JD Gordon
- Former Trump campaign adviser Roger Stone
- Former Trump campaign aide Michael Caputo
- Trump associate Erik Prince
- White House official Avi Berkowit
- Former Trump attorney Michael Cohen
- White House senior adviser Ivanka Trump
- Trump business associate Felix Sater
Less than two years into Trump’s presidency, his business associates, political advisers and family members are being probed, along with the practices of his late father. On Friday, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke became the fourth Cabinet member to leave under an ethical cloud.
His former campaign chairman Paul Manafort is in jail. His former attorney and “fixer” Michael Cohen is headed behind bars next year. His deputy campaign chairman Rick Gates is now a confessed felon. George Papadopoulos, a former member of his foreign policy advisory board, just got out of jail after flipping. His former national security adviser Michael Flynn may only avoid prison after turning on his former boss.
More inquiries into the Trump’s campaign, Trump’s transition, Trump’s inaugural committee and Trump’s presidency are now under active criminal investigation. The Trump Organization and his Foundation are also under civil investigation. Trump University has already been deemed a fraud.
Now that the Democrats have control of the house of representatives, more oversight will spark even more investigations of the Trump administration in 2019. No end in sight to U.S. politics dominating all forms of media.
Hoping to get back to writing about financial topics soon!